- Distributor Part Numbers
- Tech Notes
When working on VLP units, before road testing, be sure to reset line pressure counter, clear codes and do a quick learn.
Additionally: 42RLE with VLP built before April 28 2008 should have the PCM flashed with the latest software. Low speed partial apply TCC operation is greatly improved with software update.
- Related Products
- General Details
TransGo 42RLE-VLP SHIFT KIT® Valve Body Repair Kit fits 2006 and newer Chrysler, Dodge, Ram and Jeep vehicles equipped with the A604, 40TES, 41TES, 41TE and 42RLE transmission with variable line pressure solenoid and sensor.
For models without the VLP solenoid and sensor, you need #SK 604. Common complaints with this transmission are TCC slip or shudder and P0740, overheating, delayed forward or reverse, 4-3 coast downshift clunk as well as 2-1 coast downshift clunk.
First, we have the valve body generated complaints. The TCC slip or shudder, code P0740, overheating as well as the converter drain-back complaints are associated with wear in the pressure regulator valve and TCC regulator valve bores. The new USA made drop-in pressure regulator and TCC regulator valves with extended lands will resolve these complaints without reaming or machining the bore.
Then there are the internally generated complaints. The 4-3 coast clunk is the result of a malfunctioning underdrive clutch inner piston seal. The kit provides a specially designed tuff seal and expander wire to address this complaint. The delayed engagement forward or reverse and the 2-1 coast downshift clunk is an age associated complaint that sets in when the low-reverse piston housing gasket shrinks and begins to leak. TransGo engineered a special gasket for this application made from a non-shrinking material.
Features and benefits:
The kit includes a drop-in hardened steel pressure regulator valve as well as a redesigned TC regulator valves for a quick no-hassle install. Both the redesigned drop-in steel PR valve and TC regulator valve, feature longer lands which restores the hydraulic integrity of the circuit by utilizing previously unused and therefore unworn areas of their bore. Furthermore, the longer lands increase bore longevity by redistributing the load over a greater surface area. The kit also includes a low/reverse piston housing no-shrink gasket as well as TransGo engineered accumulator piston seals and expander wires (for use with aluminum accumulator pistons only) and the special tuff seal for the underdrive clutch piston. Lastly, the kit also includes accumulator spacers to make the releasing clutch exhaust faster, resulting in shifts that are shorter and cleaner.
- TCC slip or shudder
- Code P0740
- Delayed or no forward or reverse due to converter drain-back
- 4-3 or 2-1 coast downshift clunk
- Non-Shrinking low/reverse piston housing gasket
- (4) High temperature accumulator seals and expanders (for aluminum accumulator pistons only)
- (3) Large accumulator spacers
- Small accumulator spacer
- (2) TCC control accumulator springs
- (2) TCC control valve springs
- Drop-in USA-made hardened steel PR valve and calibration spring
- Drop-in USA-made hardened steel TC regulator valve and calibration spring
- Self-expanding Tuff™ underdrive seal and expander wire
- High mileage vehicles sometimes come in with codes P0841, P0871, P0988, P1775 and P1776 due to wear at the solenoid switch valve bore in the valve body. If you need to address solenoid switch valve bore wear, then also check out our solenoid switch valve kits here